In November 2013 Britain’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office changed its travel advice on Egyptian resorts in the Sinai such as Sharm El Sheikh and Hurgada, declaring them safe again. As soon as this happened, British families began flooding back for some glorious Winter Sun. Traditionally, the Christmas holidays are the busiest time of year for tourism in the country and with the recent troubles and restrictions lifted, the locals are very pleased to welcome British holiday makers once again.
We love Egypt and have been a couple of times to bask in the sunshine and enjoy fabulous family holidays. So here are our personal, tried and tested favourite 5 things to do in Sharm El Sheikh:
1. Snorkelling in the Red Sea. In stark contrast to the lifeless dry rocky landscape, just take a few steps into the sea, bob your head underwater and as if by magic, a vibrant world of tropical fish and corals are revealed. Prepare to be amazed as you discover sea life darting about you in these unspoilt waters. Our children wanted to go snorkelling every day – this was certainly our top experience in Sharm.
2. A guided Quad bike desert safari tour across the sands and to nearby mountains is not for the very young or the faint hearted. During our exciting turbo charged adventure we stopped halfway at a mountain range where you can hear your echo bounce around off the mountains – a surreal experience!
3. Sandy beaches and swimming. If you feel like lazing around then just relax on the beach, enjoy the golden sand and the sound of the waves gently lapping up onto the shore. In the heat of the afternoon cool off and splash about in one of the hotel pools or water parks with the giant water slides which are always great fun.
4. A Glass bottom boat trip over the Red Sea. The glass floor provides a window into the secret world of thousands of shoals of jewel coloured fish, eels, turtles and corals in a myriad of forms, each sustaining a mini ecosystem. On a trip like this you will see unimaginable beauty close up in crystal clear blue water.
5. If you or your partner have the energy or inclination, then try an exhilarating activity like para-sailing or learn to scuba dive at one of the many schools. Whilst one of us was doing an activity, the other would take the kids on pedalos alongside the seashore for gentle exercise.
We had an unforgettable holiday in Sharm El Sheikh and we’re looking forward to returning soon!